In his will, dated 2nd March, 1715, William Penny, a notable Lancaster gentleman, left a bequest to enable the building of Almshouses for 'poor indigent men and women within the town of Lancaster'.
Lancaster Charity was created in its present recognisable form on 22nd December 1860, made up of several smaller charities which between 1835 and 1843 had been set up to manage legacies which had been left for the building and maintenance of Almshouse accommodation within the old Lancaster town boundaries.
Since then, we have continued to provide affordable, comfortable homes for local people in need, who as residents are beneficiaries of Lancaster Charity. We are managed by a board of Trustees, and are registered with the Charity Commission and are also members of the National Association of Almshouses.
For many years, the Charity was based in the offices of OSG Solicitors in Castle Park, Lancaster, but in mid 2011 it relocated to William Penny's in Regent Street.
The Trustees of Lancaster Charity are currently:-
They are supported by Mr Philip Oglethorpe, Clerk to the Trustees.
Yvonne Kent The Almoner
Yvonne joined the Charity as Almoner in late 2011 taking over the position from Mrs Kathleen Kenyon OBE who had undertaken the role for 58 years. The Almoner manages the day-to-day business and financial affairs of the Charity, and deals with personnel related matters.
Linda Dixon has been Warden at Queen Street Bungalows, Lindow Close and Jellyman House for 16 years.
Pauline Fell has been Warden at Penny’s Hospital and Chapel for 9 years
Collette Edwards has been Warden at Lindow House, Gillisons and Watson Bungalows since January 2011.
Julie Thompson has been Warden at William Penny’s since December 2012